Can someone send a tax return back in the mail?

My boyfriend just moved out of an apartment, and his ex-room mate apparently told their mail man that my boyfriend doesnt live there anymore, so he made them take back my boyfriend’s Tax Return. Can someone really do that? I know its illegal for the room mate to hold my boyfriend’s tax return, but I’m just wondering if this son of a bitch is telling the truth or not. Thank you for your time and answers.

Sure can when it is a incorrect name and address for the current taxpayer that does live at this address at that time and it goes back to the FMS as being undeliverable at that time because that taxpayer was not living at that address at that time OK.
So now BF does and will have to contact the IRS and give them a correct good address at this time in his life so that they can attempt to mail it out to him again.
He just might be able to do this from the WMR website when he use it to check on his refund and the message would tell him that his refund had been returned to the FMS because of the incorrect address at that time and if it does say this it may offer him a chance to enter a new correct address at that time in his life OK failing to be able to change it at this time. Then next step would have to be the form 8822
Use Form 8822, Change of Address, to submit an address or name change any time during the year;

• Give the IRS written notification of your new address by writing to the IRS center where you file your return. Include your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number and signature.
Visit for more information about changing your address. At, you can also find the address of the IRS center where you file your tax return or download Form 8822. The form is also available by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 05/06/2013

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *