Can tax preparers give clients copies of their Tax return long after it’s been processed?

I need a copy of my 2012 tax return before it was amended. I don’t want to go through the trouble of ordering it from the IRS and waiting 2 months for it. Can I go back to my tax preparer and simply ask for another copy?

Yes, you can ask for a copy of your Tax Return. Your preparer is required to give you a copy of any return he or she prepared for you at the time the return is filed. He is not required to give you additional copies. If you get a copy from your preparer, you can be charged a fee for this service.

For example, a typical fee for a copy of a prior year return is $25.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *